This policy (together with our terms and conditions of use as set out in Annabee’s Books terms and Conditions page) applies when you use our website annabeesbooks.com (the “Website”) or visit a site that uses our advertising technology.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. For the purpose of the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (GDPR), the data controller is Annabee’s Books Limited (trading as Annabee’s Books, Reg Co.number 11928030) of International House, 24 Holborn Viaduct, London, EC1A 2BN, United Kingdom. If you have any questions you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are your data retention rights?
This website may include links to third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third-party websites and are not responsible for their privacy statements. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit.
What data do we collect?
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We do not store credit card details nor do we share financial details with any 3rd parties. We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data:
- Information you give us – You may give us information about you by filling out forms on the Website or by corresponding with us by email, phone or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use the Website, place an order on our Website, provide us with details required for a particular product, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our Website, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem with our Website. The information you give us may include your name, billing address, delivery address, email address, phone number, age, date of birth, gender, photograph, username, password and other registration information, as well as the book recipient’s name, date of birth, age, gender and address. Each piece of information you give us may be used independently or in conjunction with other information you provide to us.
- Information we collect about you and your device – Each time you visit the Website we may automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed, purchased or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- Information we collect about you via advertising – From time to time, we may place ads on third party sites (such as YouTube). When you view or otherwise interact with our ads, we and our partners may use various technologies (such as cookies) to collect and store information about you including cookie data & anonymised IDs for attribution & advertising purposes. We use these technologies to help us understand more about our customers and the effectiveness of our adverts.
- Information we receive from other sources - We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
- Location Information - We may also collect information about your location, such as the IP Address of the device you access our Website from.
If you fail to provide personal data: Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, where you do not provide suitable delivery instructions to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How do we collect your data?
We use different methods to collect data from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity, Contact, Technical and Financial Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- apply for our products or services;
- create an account on our website or utilise the live chat function on our website;
- subscribe to our service or publications;
- request marketing to be sent to you;
- make a telephone call to us and leave a message or request a call back;
- enter a competition, promotion or survey;
- react to marketing posts on our social media forums (including but not limited to our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram pages); or
- give us some feedback.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties as set out below. Profile Data, Usage Data, Marketing and Communication Data, and Aggregated Data from the following parties:
- analytics providers such as Google based outside the EU;
- advertising networks;
- search information providers;
- third party providers of technical, payment and delivery services;
- from publicly available sources.
How will we use your data?
We use data held about you in the main following ways:
- To allow us to provide you with our books and related services
- To contact you by email and mobile communication (such as text (SMS) and "push" notification) and to contact you by post
- To send you service messages/emails:
- To remind you of unordered items in your online basket
- To remind you of product creations that you have abandoned
- Surveys to capture your feedback on orders you have placed with us
- Surveys to capture your feedback on contact with our customer service team
- To conduct competitions and promotions
- To contact you about products and services you have requested;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of the Website when you choose to do so
- To notify you about changes to the Website and products and service we offer
- To administer the Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- Use data analytics to improve our website, products/ services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
- To ensure that content from the Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer
- To ensure the website is safe and secure
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- To allow us to remind you about our products or services on particular dates you have provided us with
- To allow us to provide you with other information, products or services that which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes
Other ways in which we use data held about you:
Marketing and Opting out: Where you have not previously bought from us but have registered your details with us (for example by entering a competition or signing up for a newsletter), we will only send you marketing communications if you opted into receiving marketing at the time and so given us your express consent. You have the option to unsubscribe from our e-mails through a link at the bottom of every e-mail we send to you.
Where is your data stored?
All data you provide to us is stored on our secure servers in the EU. Where necessary and for a purpose you have consented to, data may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff maybe engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your order, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services.
Retention Time: Your data is kept only for the time necessary to provide the service or product you request, or to fulfil the purpose outlined in this policy. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements. For example, details of your orders will be kept for as long as we need to retain that data to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements. This is generally 7 years unless the law prescribes a longer period. In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Data Security: We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
What are your data protection rights?
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under GDPR in relation to your personal data.
You have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent.
You can also exercise your rights at any time by contacting us at email@example.com
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. To find out more and to learn how to control cookies on your computer, please visit this helpful website.
We use the following cookies:
|Strictly Necessary Cookies||Internal cross site request forgery (CSRF) cookie|
|Shopping cart token|
|Chat identifier (purechat)|
|Performance Cookies||Google Analytics (IP addresses are anonymised)|
|Functionality and other 3rd party cookies (if cookies are accepted)||Current book identifier|
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after a maximum of twelve months.
Annabee's Books is a startup publishing company using technology and storytelling to help parents/carers raise resilient and stress-free children.
We collaborate closely with early years psychologists, published experts in early years, lecturers in early childhood and primary school teachers to maximise the chance of conveying important life values and messages whilst maintaining a high standard of story-telling.
Founded in 2019, we launched our first book The Penguin Party with the additional aim of tackling the lack of diversity in children's books. With options to personalise for different ethnicities, options for same-sex couples and single parent families, and gender-neutral options, the book goes further than many in the market to reflect diversity and different family dynamics.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or materials (media@annabeesbooks also works).